Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

My Team

According to Webster’s dictionary, the definition of teammate is “a fellow member of the team”. Since I spend more time each week with my team than I do with my family, this is not “deep” enough for my liking. I would consider my teammates to be more like sisters. Sometimes we drive each other insane, but we always have each others back.

At gymnastics, I train with levels six through ten, and we sometimes spend time with levels two through five, who are adorable. In level six through ten, there are nine of us total who are ages eleven through sixteen. We spend twenty-two and a half hours training together every week, but not even that is enough. We get together outside of the gym almost every weekend, and never get tired of each other. This weekend, Friday after practice we went to dinner and to see a movie, and Sunday we went to brunch.


Sunday Brunch


There is never a dull moment with my team. We all have our own unique personalities, and when you put us together, you never know what will happen. We can tell the same stories over and over again, and they never get old. Even the most boring thing you can possibly think of can be turned into a game or something enjoyable.

For me, traveling for competitions with my team is the most exciting thing. I absolutely love exploring a new place with my best friends by my side. I am stoked for this upcoming season, we are going to Colorado Springs, Colorado, Phoenix, Arizona and Sacramento, California. At each of these competitions, we always have a team dinner, going somewhere interesting that seems to resemble the culture, or stereotypical culture, of each place. This year, two of the competitions have a gymnast after party, where everyone who has competed gets to hang out with their teammates and look like idiots together.

Besides all of the partying, there is the actual competition part of the meets, where the nerves are high and all of your hard work in the gym can pay off. I believe this is something that really brings the team closer together. We are competing with each other, as well as against each other. We have that passion to beat each other while still wanting our teammates to do their best. Even if I do not do too well, if my teammate rocks it, it brings my spirits up.


My teammates and I go through everything together, and have seen the best in each other as well as the worst. There are not enough words to describe the bond my teammates and I have, but if I had to come up with a new definition for “teammate”, it would be this: “an additional family member you can rely on to be your confidant, your cheerleader and your best friend”.

No comments:

Post a Comment